Monday 26 September 2011

How to: make sponge cake exciting

You know what's EVEN better than cake? Cake that doesn't only look nice on the outside, but also looks good on the inside. And it's really easy.

First, make your batter. This cake was  for my sister's birthday (happy birthday Tepi!) & my mum was making a chocolate pudding so I went for a simple vanilla cake to keep everyone happy. I used my go-to sponge cake recipe because it is lovely and always delivers a moist, tasty cake.

Next, add in a few drops of food colouring. I wanted to make a pink sponge, but didn't have any pink colouring so used a couple of drops of red instead. You can use anything, but remember that you still want people to actually eat the cake, so greens and blacks should probably be avoided. Unless it's Hallowe'en. Or you like to eat things that are mould coloured. (Er. Don't eat mould).


Once you are happy with the colour, just stick it into your tin and bake as normal! I noticed just before putting it in the tin that the mixture looked a tiny bit runnier than I like, so I added it a wee spoon of flour to bulk it out (but not too much to mess with the recipe).


This is what it looks like just out of the oven.


& cut in half, for speedy cooling! It's so bright!


Decorate as normal (you can spot my mum's lovely chocolate mousse in the background) and wait (patiently) for the surprise when it is finally cut into.

A lot of us were going for a sponge cake/chocolate mousse combo. We like our puddings.

Tada! Be pleased with yourself at this point that you didn't tell anyone about this cake surprise (and enjoy the happy gasps).



This would be cute with a coloured filling too, but I liked the simplicity of the red/white combo. & the birthday girl liked it, which is all that mattered!

13 comments :

  1. Haha don't eat mould. That looks really cool, I will do that sometime.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo, it looks really good! I will have to try this sometime :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM, looks delicious! Almost looks like red velvet cake, actually.

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should try that next time I'm making a cake, maybe black and orange for halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black and orange for halloween is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, yum! I will have to try this. Damn, now I really want cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! I'm just baking a bright red cake myself - i'm going to make Halloween Cake Pops with it tomorrow!!
    I've made a couple of rainbow cakes for birthdays in the last few days...different colours inside but totally covered in chocolate butter cream icing so they didn't know about the colours until they cut the cake!
    I really like the look of the one colour cake too though - that red is lovely & bright! :o)
    I like the ideas of black & orange for Halloween too...might have to try that!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red & green would be good for Christmas too! Would have to be a very bright green though... to still look appetising. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi can any help me i av just made a birthday cake i wonted a pink sponge added food colouring 2 got the right colour i wonted cooked it wen i cut it woz still white can any 1 tell me y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It will lighten up when you bake the sponge (especially if it is a large amount of batter) so maybe just add more in and experiment until you get the colour you want.

      Good luck! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting, it is lovely and really makes my day!

If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them quickly, or you can also tweet me @eversojuliet

Ta!